Monday, October 6, 2008

Week four

Hello all. At this moment, I really appreciate the fact that I can keep you all updated without having to talk to you....not because I don't like you, but because I seem to have contracted a nice little pre-winter cold....or possibly a sleep-deprivation-cold. Either or. I blame everyone but myself. We had a nice little seven and a half hour power outage which seemed to spark a series of events that involved running, shouting, raucous laughter, and of course little to no sleep for anyone, (ahem, ahem even those not involved)! I promise mom, I was in bed by midnight. Anyways, enough bitterness. I'm going surfing tomorrow! Actually, that's a lie. But I am going voting tomorrow and then to see 20 foot waves! No mom, we will not be surfing those ones. The days following tomorrow will involve surfing however! I am super excited to try my new-found surfing skills. Well, they were new-found when I got them......in February.....in Chile......but whatevs! Either way, it's exciting!



This past week we had our Spiritual Formation class with Marv Penner. Somehow Marv managed to be knowledgeable, personal, sincere and humble all at the same time. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in last week was a college level class, but I couldn't tell you where. We also had to hand in our first paper today. A review on A Tale of Three Kings. The author has a strange style of writing that made it pretty tough to analyze, but it was still a pretty convicting book. Even though it seemed like some parts of it were fictional, it still gave me a clearer view of the life of David. Not his circumstance per say, but in his attitude towards it. I have officially adopted a quote from David. He is talking in reference to Saul throwing spears at him: "Better that he kill me than I learn his ways. Better he kill me than I become as he is. I shall not practice the ways that cause kings to go mad. I will not throw spears nor will I allow hatred to grow in my heart. I will not avenge. I will not destroy the Lord's anointed. Not now. Not ever!"

This past Friday we had our first youth event! It was called reboot and it was basically a kick off to the year. Pizza+lotsa kids+me=gongshow of a good time! There were only around 15 kids there and only 3 were boys, but a good time none the less. Apparently I'm going to have a rough time with the girls there. Apparently they don't really know what's "appropriate" behavior all of the time. Apparently I'm a positive male influence. Apparently I'm going to be babysat by one of the girls in my group. Apparently I'm supposed to run away. Apparently. I figure if I keep running around and making it into a game then it wont get too bad....theoretically. Well, I keep hacking up my lungs so I'm gonna go perform surgery on myself...in the form of hot chocolate and a blanket! Until next week...

No comments: