Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hello all. Since my last post, my family and I have experienced a tremendous upheaval. It was unforeseen and inescapable. In all honesty it was the most trying and difficult time I have experienced as of yet. My grandpa passed away. I returned home to be with him in his last days and remained for the funeral. I lost not only my grandpa, but a role model, a mentor and, most importantly, my hero. The only person I can honestly say I wanted to be. His outstanding character and respectful nature made him stand out miles ahead of the pack, and yet he chose a quieter way of life. His genuine modesty made you feel like you were in the presence of royalty, just because of his majestic stature, and yet he would always look into that place in your eyes that made you realize that he valued you more than anything in that moment. I've heard a saying in these past few days. It was said of him and I agree. "He made you walk a little bit taller". I am privileged to have been able to know this man. I feel like i was watching Jesus walk around. He had a way of exclaiming his faith, without ever opening his mouth. This loss it great indeed. And yet all the while, I felt lifted up and encouraged by my family at Kaleo. It may be my most powerful experience with prayer to date. I could feel it. Like strong hands holding me above a waterfall. I was feeling the weight and pressure of the situation, but I knew that those hands would not let me be over come. They were constantly on my mind, and were constantly reminding me that I was on theirs. It feels strange to me that my most meaningful bonding time was not the SALTs trip, or surfing. It was in my absence. Right as I was leaving, they ambushed me in the lobby. I was attempting to be invisible and disappear, because that is how I have felt so far. Invisible. But they showered me with love and affection, and showed me that I was anything but invisible. I have never experienced such love outside of my own family before. It was very powerful. I know now why God did not intend for us to live alone. Because if we did, there would be no one to show us His love. My grandpa loved to work with his hands. He would spend hours and hours in his work shop, fiddling with his woodwork, until he perfected it. His favorite hobby mixed with his mentality of facing life inspired me to come up with my own little saying: "Face the unknown with a hammer and a chisel, ready to go to work". quiting is not an option and life is what you make it. Now, with the help of my grandpa and and the support of my family in Christ, I am ready for the unknown.

No comments: